Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Brought to you by the number 29!


The 29th of February comes but once every 4 years! It's a bonus day for sure. There's lots of lore about this rare day and most of the traditions belong to the Irish and the Scottish.  It made me want to make something Irish - what could be better then Shepherd's Pie on this 29th day?

This is a simple and ALWAYS delicious Shepherd's Pie recipe.  Take a leap and make it for your leap day supper.

Shepherd's Pie
I almost always make a double batch of this.
2 Cups ground beef - I used ground Turkey
2 Tbsp. Chopped Onion
Salt and Pepper to taste (I added a bit of sage as well to the Turkey)
Garlic - crushed and added to the cooked meat
2 Cups mashed potatoes
19 oz. can creamed corn
1 egg beaten for egg wash
Cook meat with onion.  Drain and season.  Add crushed garlic - stir and put into 9 X 9 casserole dish (or larger one if making a double batch).
Spread a can of cream style corn on top of meat.
Mash the potatoes with some butter and warm milk and layer it on top of the corn layer.
Brush beaten egg on top of the potato layer.  
Bake for 29 (or 30) minutes at 375 degrees or until bubbly and golden.




The Stratford Festival Theatre had a promotion on
for a few hours last evening where you could buy
theatre tickets for a mere $29 each if you booked for the shows on the 29th of each month this season! What a great idea! Of course, I just had to do it and I got them!!!!  So, on the 29th of May, June, July, August and Sept. we'll be enjoying a live show in Stratford and feeling rather smug!




Till next time ..... enjoy your Leap Day!

2 comments:

  1. I make shepherds pie for my family,my wife and daughter and the grandchildren love the way i make it.there is hardly a time when there are any leftovers because they just eat until its gone.thats the best compliment they could give me.its -13 this morning and the thought of making shepherds pie today just seems to be a great idea,have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your shepherd's pie is amazing - so nice when your loved ones appreciate and love your cooking! Nothing tastes better then that :)

      Delete

Eclipse clips

  Did you experience today's eclipse? Truly a once in a life-time experience. My day began with a gathering for coffee with my fellow re...