Thursday, March 29, 2012

Quinoa Salad

The sun on the Forsythia
was so pretty in the morning
I can't remember it looking
quite so full as this year.

The Spring air gives me a
much needed lift
I feel energized and calm
all at the same time.

I took my camera and went to take
my week three picture 
of the Rhubarb in the garden
Wow - it's growing by leaps and bounds
and I can't wait to make my first 
Rhubarb Pie!!

Rhubarb at week three




All the new growth of things
all around here
makes me want to start fresh too
and to step up my
fitness and healthy eating
rountine!







I decided to make a super healthy Quinoa Salad
tonight for supper.
This recipe comes from one of Becky's best 
friends - and we affectionately
call it "Giller's Quinoa Salad"
I made a double batch and
It's going to come in really handy this
upcoming busy weekend!



Quinoa Salad:
1 Cup Quinoa - well scrubbed and rinsed
2 Cups Water
1/2 Cup dried Cranberries
1/4 Cup fresh parsley or cilantro - chopped
2 Cup Celery - chopped
1/2 red pepper - chopped
1/4 Cups Pecans or walnuts - lightly toasted and chopped
1-2 cloves garlic - minced
I also added some chopped chives that are already growing in my herb bed.
Dressing:
1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp. Flax Seed Oil
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
Quinoa must be rinsed well - otherwise it may have a bitter taste.  In a bowl of water, grind the grain between your hands for 2 minutes.  Drain and discard the rinse water (my sieve was a bit too coarse so I lined it with a small piece of cheesecloth for draining).  In a sauce pan, bring water to a boil.  Add the Quinoa, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.  It looks opague with a white squiggley/circular vein and is softened when cooked.
Meanwhile, chop the vegetables and toast the nuts.  Whisk the dressing ingredients.  When grain has cooled slightly, stir in the vegetables, nuts and dressing.  I added the crushed garlic while the Quinoa was still hot which helps to mellow the garlic flavour.  Allow the salad to rest for at least an hour before serving to let the flavours combine.
This salad can be served warm, at room temperature or cold.  Add beans, lentils, fish or chicken to make it a main dish.
Note - I almost always double this recipe.  It keeps well in the fridge for up to 4-5 days and is a handy salad to pack as a lunch for work.

Till next time ........... enjoying Spring and savouring healthy foods.

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy that sounds delicious. I love idea of the nuts and cilantro added...
    We have some friends that only do Quinoa anymore so I'll need to pass on the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure the nuts gave this salad a very special note! Very appropriate for this time of season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, this sounds absolutely fabulous!!! I'd love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I took a photo of my rhubarb last week. I think for the first time in history...you in your province has ours beat. That salad looks fantastic.

    I need a forsythia bush. I had just said that yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Eclipse clips

  Did you experience today's eclipse? Truly a once in a life-time experience. My day began with a gathering for coffee with my fellow re...