Sunday, April 15, 2012

Crunchy Broccoli Salad




This salad is my "go to" take away salad for pot-lucks or family gatherings.  It is easy and the homemade dressing is what makes it extra delicious!


If you know me - you know I love special dishes.
This bowl was given to me by my Mom and it's usually the bowl I use for this salad.





Custard Dressing:
1 Egg plus 1 egg yolk - lightly beaten
1/2 Cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 Cup vinegar
1/4 Cup water
3 Tbsp. butter
1/2 Cup mayonnaise
I use a 4 Cup glass measuring cup to "cook" this sauce in the microwave (you can make this in a sauce pan on the stove as well).  Whisk the eggs, add the sugar, cornstarch, and mustard - whisk together lightly.  Slowly whisk in the vinegar and water.  Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes pausing often to stir.  Cook till thickened.  Remove from heat or microwave and stir in the butter till melted.  Stir in the mayonnaise and chill.
Salad:
4 Cups broccoli cut into small bite size pieces (I like to use 2 Cups broccoli and 2 Cups cauliflower)
1/2 Cup plumped raisins - optional (I sometimes add a handful of dried cranberries instead)
2 Cups fresh mushrooms - chopped
1/2 medium red onion - sliced or diced
Just before serving - mix the dressing with the vegetables, mushrooms, onions and raisins.
Garnish:
6 slices cooked bacon - crumbled or diced
1-2 cans mandarin oranges - well drained
1/2 slivered almonds - toasted or I like to use salted cashews as well.


Today is Sunday and we are rejoicing because it is raining - much needed!

Till next time .......... have a wonderful day!

5 comments:

  1. I just ate but this is making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at six slices of BACON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE, love this salad...and like how you used big pieces of bacon...so yummy! I would be eating seconds and thirds :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to try this recipe. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Judy - hope you like it. I sometimes buy the already sliced mushrooms and just break them up a bit (it saves a bit of time). Enjoy.

      Delete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...