Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"RHUBY TUESDAY'S" Rhubarb Ice Cream


Homemade Rhubarb Ice Cream!





Do you like homemade ice cream?  We LOVE it and have been making plain vanilla bean ice cream for some time.  I have never tried Rhubarb Ice Cream but in the spirit of Rhuby Tuesdays and Summer....I had to try it!  I'm glad I did - it's really good.  It makes a small batch and I think next time I will double the recipe and even make it a bit thinner by adding more milk.

Here is the slightly modified recipe:

Rhubarb Ice Cream
The recipe says that it serves 8 - not! (maybe 4 - in our family).
3 1/2 Cups Rhubarb - Diced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 Cup Sugar - divided
3 large Egg yolks
2/3 Cup Whole Milk - I used 1 %
1 Cup Whipping Cream
1 tsp. vanilla
In saucepan, combine the rhubarb and 3/4 Cup sugar.  Cover and cook over low heat until rhubarb releases its juices (about 5 minutes).  Uncover and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until most of the water has evaporated and it has a soft jam consistency (approx. 20 minutes).  Watch closely as it can stick and burn easily at this stage.  Transfer to a bowl.
Whisk the egg yolks lightly in a seperate bowl.  Bring to a boil, gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks.  Return to sauce pan and cook over low heat - stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of spoon.  Using a fine sieve, strain mixture into the stewed rhubarb.  Add the Cup of whipping cream to the rhubarb.  Chill for at least 2 hours.  Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.

Note - I tried to skip the step to cook the milk and egg yolks "custard" in a saucepan and instead cooked it in the microwave.  It didn't work - the eggs curdled and I had to start over.  You need the constant stirring over the low heat to achieve the smooth custard.


Till next time ......... stay cool and make some homemade Ice Cream - it's going to be a hot week and summa arrives tomorrow!  You won't regret it :).


2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I've never made ice-cream...but it's always a treat when I am served it elsewhere. And rhubarb ice-cream sounds like a great flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rhubarb!!! But have never made ice cream. There are so many good recipes floating around I think I need to get an ice cream maker. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...