Monday, March 25, 2013

Easter Butter Lamb

A Butter Lamb for Easter

Today I made a butter lamb for
the Easter Dinner Table.
I've only ever made this twice before
and that was for our 
daughter's wedding table.
My mother made it a family tradition
to have a butter lamb made
for each of our weddings!

As I researched on line and questioned
my cousin who's mother-in-law
made them way back then, I found
that these lambs were created
for Easter too and not just for weddings.




The on-line Youtube video is the design I used:
  • Start by cutting 1/3 off of a cold stick of butter (1/2 Cup stick) 
  • Scrape some butter from another stick and use it to "glue" the 1/3 piece on top of the 2/3 piece - making an "L" shape
  • Now carefully carve off the square corners of the "L" on all sides
  • Scrape some more butter to create the nose and attached it to the upper part of the "L" as shown in the above collage. Mold it with your fingers to create a head and smoothing with your fingers
  • To make the ears - scrape some butter onto the tip of a knife, smooth, slide off the knife and attach on back side of head on either side
  • Take a room temperature stick of butter and put it into a potato ricer, squeeze till about 1/4 inch of butter comes out.  Use a turkey baster or skewer to scrape bits of the squeezed butter and place onto the lamb shape.  Keep squeezing and building the "wool" onto all sides, back of head, neck and a nice crown on top of the head till your lamb has a nice rounded and wooly shape
  • Choose two matching cloves for the eyes. Make two small holes with the skewer and carefully place in the eyes
  • For the nose and mouth, dip the skewer into cinnamon, poke two little holes for the nose and make a little mouth.
  • That's it!  Place your lamb onto a bed of parsley or kale and serve.

Hints:
They all turn out just a little different. 
Use cold butter for shaping the body and scraping
Use room temperature but firm butter for the "wool"
Freeze till ready to use

I hope you get a chance to try this sometime
It's such fun and only takes a few minutes.




May each and everyone of you be blessed
during this most Holy week of Easter!


Till next time ...... have a great week!

12 comments:

  1. Well done! I'm really impressed with your creation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lamb is so adorable! Happy Easter to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Will definitely try this in a few years to impress the grand baby when he will be old enough to notice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH this is so sweet! Will I try it? I want to. It looks ever so darling. I have a ricer...so seriously have no reason not to try.
    Thanks for the tutorial Rosella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is adorable. I'll be coming back to this post when we finally have an Easter with our little grandsons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nicely done!! I'd hate to dig into it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic idea, Rosella! I fill a lamb cake mold with fudge each year for Easter...my kids would get a kick out of a butter lamb, too! Wishing you a most joyous Easter, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one amazing lamb. I have never seen that before. Thanks for sharing this post.
    It is adorable...May you also have a wonderful Easter. He is Risen Indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so cute! No one will want to eat that cute lamb.. and maybe that is okay.You
    did a great tutorial! I may have to come back for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable idea Rosella. I don't know if I would have ever taken the time to try something like this. You have inspired me though. I just may have to try that sometime. I hope you and your family had a wonderful Easter Celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rosella, I just landed here again and would like to try this as my place cards are sheep too.
    I am trying to figure out the size .. we buy our butter in pound sizes, not in sticks. Is a stick a 1/2 cup? I'm just trying to picture the size, but I guess I'll just start and see what happens. Your pictures are very helpful. I will have to try a regular grater for the wool as I do not have a potato ricer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, you are right. A stick of butter is 1/2 Cup or 1/4 lb. Just cut your 1 lb. butter into 4 sticks. Be sure to watch the youtube link that I put up here - it really helped me! Wish I could come and do one with you .... Hope it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Eclipse clips

  Did you experience today's eclipse? Truly a once in a life-time experience. My day began with a gathering for coffee with my fellow re...