Monday, August 19, 2013

Tip Toeing Through the Zucchini

What was I thinking
to plant more than one Zucchini Plant?

The bountiful harvest is
keeping me on my toes!








It seems that each
time I check,
there are many more
than what I can
use .....













It's wonderful to
have such a great harvest.

I've been sharing them,
stir frying,
roasting on the BBQ,
baking them into
muffins, etc.






On the weekend I created a casserole!




It turned out pretty good......I had all the ingredients
on hand and the time to make it!


Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
Preheat oven to 350F
4 - 6 Cups Zucchini - sliced into 1/4" slices and halved
1 Tbsp. fresh Oregano - chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh Basil - chopped
1 shallot - chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 Cup sharp Cheddar Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
Mix the above ingredients in a bowl.  Spoon mixture into a greased 9 X 9 casserole dish and top with:
1 Cup Cooked Ham - diced
1/2 Cup Mozzarella and 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded and mixed together)
1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs moistened with 2 Tbsp. melted butter
Bake for 35-45 minutes until fork tender.

This casserole smelled amazing whilst baking and was a delicious meal served with a crisp salad.





Now what to do with the rest of these
monster zucchini??

I've been shredding, measuring into 
1 Cup piles and freezing them
for future baking.....




What would you do????


Till next time ..... thankful for the Zucchini harvest!


8 comments:

  1. I understand your dilemma with the abundance! Your casserole looks delicious and I may have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our son grew Japanese zucchini; they ripen to the size of cantaloupe! Last night I made a salsa seasoned stir fry with them, and have found a zucchini waffle recipe (like zucchini bread without all that oven heat! )

    Also zucchini chips but that it involves using an oven is not appealing. We're breaking records for number of 100+ degree days here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and slow down production by harvesting the blossoms, then using them stuffed with whatever. We love to mix up a ricotta cheese egg combo then add opinion or chili peppers or what have you, stuff the flower, fold the flower like a burrito, dip in milk, egg and bread crumb mix then pan fry in olive oil. Holy cow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that sounds yummy - thanks for this idea! Stay cool my friend!

      Delete
  4. I like Jill's idea to fry up the blossoms! ; )

    Enjoy, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like what you have done with your bounty. We like to put lengthwise halves on the grill brushed with a butter, crushed garlic, salt, and pepper wash on them. I've also used them chopped up in chili.
    I'm overwhelmed with my apples and pears this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fantastic casserole! I'm made zucchini bread and fritters, but that's all so far this summer. I like to saute slices with a shallot and fresh thyme...so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know, but I wish I could come and get some. I love zuchini in breads and salads. Zuchini/tomato salad with a tad of Ranch dressing is good.

    ReplyDelete

Eclipse clips

  Did you experience today's eclipse? Truly a once in a life-time experience. My day began with a gathering for coffee with my fellow re...