Thursday, January 16, 2014

Split Pea Soup - Memories of NFLD




The other day I made
and we've been enjoying
the left-overs!

This cold stormy weather is
perfect for making
split pea soup,
reminiscent of one that
we enjoyed several years
ago on a fun trip
to Newfoundland!





Split Pea Soup


2 Cups dried yellow or green split peas (I like to use the yellow ones)
8 Cups light chicken stock
Trimmed ham bone plus 2-3 Cups cooked ham
1 Cup onions – finely chopped
1 Cup celery – finely chopped
1 Cup carrots – finely chopped or sliced
2 Bay leaves
1 tsp. savory
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Tbsp. Butter
Preheat heavy bottom pot, add the oil and butter and the chopped vegetables, simmer for a few minutes or until translucent.  Wash the peas and strain them well – add them to the pot along with the bay leaves and savory.  Add all the stock and the ham bone – simmer gently for 1-2 hours or until peas are softened and begin to melt.  Stir often so it doesn’t burn.  Add water to make it the right consistency if it becomes a bit too thick.  Remove the bone from the soup and save any meat remaining on the bone – trim and chop or shred. Set aside.  At this point you can use a stick blender if desired to slightly blend the peas (I like to leave it a bit chunky).  Add the meat back into the soup and heat through. Serve with dumplings and chopped chives.
To make the dumplings:
2 Cups Flour, 1 ½ tsp. baking powder, 1 Tbsp. butter – crumbed together.  Knead together with a little water or milk.  Make small rolls of dough, drop balls into hot soup and cook for 20 minutes.





I can't believe that
our trip to that
beautiful island was over
6 years ago.
I'd go back anytime.
It was one of our most memorable
vacations.

The farmer and I are planning
another wee trip.
This time to a sunny and warm
spot, due South from here.

My next post may be an inspired
guacamole or perhaps some
enchiladas?



Till next time .............. stay warm wherever you are and for goodness sake - have some hearty soup!







6 comments:

  1. Love your header photo Rosella! That soup looks so good. I have to bookmark this for the next time we have ham.
    Oh...a sunny spot....I'll be back to see where you are off to. Have a safe trip and enjoy every minute. Taking your trailer? Mexican food coming...I'll be back for that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup looks most inviting! Our trip to Newfoundland a decade ago was one of our most memorable vacations as well. Such friendly folk and a down-home welcome all around. We never sampled split pea soup over there...but had yummy bake-apple pie and several other trademark dishes.

    Have fun in the sun...and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll try the yellow ones the next time I make this soup. I have a ham hock and bone in the freezer...
    I'd love to travel the far eastern provinces of Canada some day.
    So you are heading for some sunshine. Muy bueno!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my but that looks good. My mum always made yellow pea soup. I didn't have green pea soup until I was married and gone. I haven't had dumplings for years - my mum called them Dough Boys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making split pea soup using a leftover ham bone...but I always cheat and use a package of peas and seasoning. I need to make your recipe from scratch...and I love that you added dumplings. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Finnish born and Swedish born friends tell me that there is one day a week in Scandinavia that EVERYONE eats yellow split pea soup. I think that is funny! Wish we could get so organized. Sometimes I think we all eat italian food one day a week and mexican food another day...maybe we should designate a day for each and make it national tradition.
    (Funny...I've never heard anyone ever say they had Canadian food last night...)

    ReplyDelete

Eclipse clips

  Did you experience today's eclipse? Truly a once in a life-time experience. My day began with a gathering for coffee with my fellow re...