Saturday, February 22, 2014

Savoury Kringle Bread

It's cold outside,
a warm soup kind of day,
 the Olympic Game is on
between Finland and U.S.A.,
the sun is shining - showing all the dirty windows,
the farmer has a nice fire going in the woodstove,
and I have a hankering for baking
some savoury bread!

Have you ever made Kringle bread?
It's an Estonian Bread - fairly easy to master
and looks so pretty.
The most popular versions of
this bread 
are the ones with sweet fillings
but because I'd like to serve this with
soup today - I've decided to make it savoury.



Pesto, Sundried Tomato, Goat Cheese Kringle Bread


Dough:
2 Cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 Cup lukewarm milk
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Envelope (2 1/4 tsp.) dry yeast
1/8 Cup melted butter
1 egg yolk
Mix warm milk and sugar. Sprinkle on the yeast and let stand for 5 min. Add egg yolk, melted butter, flour and salt. Mix and knead till smooth. Let rise till double in bulk - approx. 1 hr.






Preheat the oven to 400F
Filling:
4 tsp. Pesto
3 Tbsp. chopped Sundried Tomato
1/2 clove garlic - crushed
4-5 Tbsp. soft Goat cheese
*or any combination you choose (see below for some options).

Punch down the dough and roll out into a rectangle. Spread with Pesto, sprinkle with tomato, garlic and cheese.











Roll tightly into a cylinder, starting from the long side. Using a sharp knife, spit the cylinder in half lengthwise, leaving the one end attached. 









Twist the two halves together, keeping the open cut layers exposed.
Form into a circle, weaving ends together. Pinch to seal and place in a greased pie plate or on a parchment lined baking sheet.



Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil halfway to prevent excessive browning.





*Optional Fillings:

1/4 Cup softened butter
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 garlic clove - minced
3 Tbsp. flaxmeal/ground flaxseed

Sweet Filling Option:
1/4 Cup softened butter
4-5 Tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbsp. ground almonds
(I'd like to try this combo sometime!)






Till next time ............ are you watching the Olympics?  Tomorrow is the big game for Canada!!!



9 comments:

  1. I'd almost be willing to make the drive there to sample your Kringle bread. It looks delicious! Or, it I could just get the desire to do some baking here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to thank you for the watercolor app suggestions! I love your pictures, so they must be good choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful work of art...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to Canada on their hockey win! Hope they get the gold! I've made this sort of bread, but didn't know the history. I need to whip up another loaf...your pictures have me yearning for another loaf :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheering Canada on! This bread looks so pretty! What a presentation it would make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosella, this bread looks amazing! I have never made anything with yeast, so I will have to just have to dream about yours! Wishing Canada good luck in tomorrow's game!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the watercolor app list. My son put them on my i-pad on Sunday, but I haven't had a chance to play with them yet. Thanks, also for the kind words about our bedroom. The paint color we used was Benjamin Moore Pelican Gray.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks amazing, Rosella! I like how you show the weaving.
    Reminds me of Charlotte's maple twists.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosella.....this is a WINNER! I must try this!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...