Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pannakuakku



Pannakuakku
(I don't know how to pronounce this)





A busy Saturday ahead, 
while putting away the groceries,
the fridge needing to be reorganized and cleaned,
and no room for the beautiful bag of apples
I had just purchased at our local Martin's Apple Farm,
I made the decision to set them in the back deck room
for now!
Oops.....I should have know the temperatures
were going to dip down way below freezing once again
this Spring (did I say Spring????)
Where is Spring?

Back to the apples......I remembered what I had done on
Sunday morning and yes, they were slightly frozen.
What to do?

Then I thought of a delicious
recipe that Vee shared on her
fabulous blog called A Haven for Vee
It's the Finnish version of a Dutch Baby (I think).

I could make this and top it with
some delicious sautéed apples.....right?





It was yummy - but definitely a recipe for four
people! Next time I will half the recipe.
An addition, Vanilla Yogurt or Whipped Cream would
have made it even better.

You've got to try this.
It's wonderful to watch as it bakes and
transforms into a giant fluffy soufflé like pancake.

Well, that took care of 3 apples,
9 more to go.



Recipe for the Pannakuakku:
4 Tbsp. butter
4 eggs
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla and
A sprinkle of cinnamon

Melt the butter in a 8 X 11 baking pan. Mix together the eggs,
flour, milk, salt and vanilla and pour onto the melted butter.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 450F for 20 minutes.


Make sure to visit Vee's blog
and read her comical description of this recipe ......



Till next time ........... be mindful of where to store your apples this time of year!




9 comments:

  1. I made this again using peaches in maple syrup sauce and whipped cream as a topping...yup, delish. I agree, half a recipe serves two. What I love are the many variations the batter creates as baking...so pretty and so unusual. Now I will have to try it with apples! Course all the real credit for this goes to Judy at Daily Yarns n' More. Speaking of which, they've just done the first boil of their maple syrup! Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic - we're still waiting for the first boils of Maple Syrup in this area. Can't wait!!!

      Delete
  2. Yum! Looking forward to trying this soon. Oops about that bag of apples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a similar recipe we call German Pancakes. It is also delicious. We like yogurt, fresh fruit, and a sprinkle of brown sugar on top... Yum! Thanks for reminding me of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you know I have a weakness for this kind of food! I have to try this to se if it really does that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make this quite often when we have company using different fruits. Always visually fun....and oh so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful, Rosella! The first time I tasted this my sister made it for me. I have made it a few times since then..so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure looks like a Dutch baby...YUM! I haven't made one in eons, but will add it to my baking list soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to believe it puffs out like that! It's a thing of beauty! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...