Thursday, September 3, 2015

Rainy Day Twisted Cheese and Herb Bread



It's been so hot and humid these last few days
and today the skies darkened and the rains came down.
A perfect day to bake some bread.

Well, actually I was boiling some potatoes to make a potato salad
and was left with a nice cup of potato water ....
why not bake some potato bread I say??

I found this recipe on line and adapted it a wee bit:

Twisted Cheese and Herb Bread

5 1/2 - 6 1/2 Cups of Unbleached Bread Flour
2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. white sugar
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Cup potato water - luke warm
1 Cup buttermilk - luke warm
1 1/2 Tbsp. instant yeast
1/4 Cup melted butter

Filling:
4 Cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 Cup minced herbs (I used parsley and chives that are growing in my herb bed in abundance)

Method:
In stand mixer or mixing bowl, combine the flour (keeping one cup aside) with the salt and sugar.
In another bowl or large measuring cup, combine the potato water and butter milk. Whisk in the yeast. Add this and the melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix with the dough hook or by hand till combined - let rest for 5 minutes (oops, I forgot this step).
After the 5 minute rest, add in the remaining flour a bit at a time, until you get a soft smooth and tacky but not sticky dough.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for several minutes.
Form the dough into a nice smooth ball and place into a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise till double in bulk (1-2 hours).

Divide the dough in half and form into two balls. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin to a rectangle of approx. 10 inches by 16 inches.






Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese and half of the chopped herbs onto the rolled out dough. 
Begin rolling it like a jelly roll from the short side.














Pinch the seam together.










With a sharp floured knife cut the loaf in half length wise keeping cut side facing up.
Pinch together the top ends of the loaf and turn the right strip up and over the left strip. Straighten it up and do this again till you reach the bottom.
Now pinch the bottom ends together too.
Carefully move the twisted loaf into a greased loaf pan.













Repeat with the second ball of dough. Cover the pans with a tea towel or waxed paper and let them rise again till they are 1 inch higher than the pan (approx. 35-40 minutes).







Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes, rotating the loaves and covering with foil if getting too browned at the half way point (after approx. 25 min.).
Let them stand in the pans for a few minutes before removing and run a thin knife around the edges if the cheese has caused it to stick to the pan.

Voila - twisted cheese and herb bread made on a dreary rainy afternoon ...



Taste notes - this bread turned out soft and delicious. I like the texture of bread when using potato water!

Till next time ....... tomorrow is tackle the overgrown and weedy garden day (unless it rains again).
                                       What are you up to this first week of September? 


9 comments:

  1. That bread looks so yummy Rosella. I have always wanted to try that twist method and now I'm inspired to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks labor intensive and well worth it! What beautiful loaves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be so good with a bowl of soup! I was trying to figure out that third photo - it looks like it's cut through several times?
    Or is it just the way it opens up when you slice through it. It's so neat how just cutting and twisting a roll can make it look so much
    more interesting. I'm sure you could do all kinds of fillings in a bread like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Anneliese, when I cut it apart lengthwise, the rolled layers sort of opened up. Just squish them back together a bit before doing the twist. I could have rolled it a bit tighter in the first place but it worked out in the end. Any of the cheese that falls out you can just sprinkle it back on top before baking too. Soup with this sounds yummy!

      Delete
  4. I just popped over from another blogger from My Front Porch I see you both are also a fellow Canadian . Hello from a valley in south western Ontario near the north shores of lake Erie . I love your photos and blog and am happy to be a follower and see what goes on in your neck of the woods like this YUMMY ! post my how delish looking and sounding that would go wonderfully with soup or chili and then like everything here wash it all down with a cuppa tea after lol ! Looking forward to reading and seeing what goes on in your neck of the wood . Thanks for sharing , Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  5. How delicious! Love all the cheese and the beautiful twist. I've never used potato water in my bread (thouth I have added mashed potatoes!), but I'm glad to know your secret weapon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I come and move in with you, Rosella? You make the best things! I can't imagine anything I'd enjoy more than this cheese bread - yes, more than any sweet dessert! I'd love it if you would link this recipe up at our Best of the Weekend party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shouldn't be reading this before dinner! I could just eat a whole loaf of that bread at one sitting right about now!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those loaves are impressive, Rosella!! They are beautiful and I feel confident that they are delicious too!
    Oh, if only we were having bread making weather about now. In my corner it is still quite summery. I am ready for some autumn cooking and baking!

    ReplyDelete

Eclipse clips

  Did you experience today's eclipse? Truly a once in a life-time experience. My day began with a gathering for coffee with my fellow re...