Thursday, July 21, 2016

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

The "kids" are going to the cottage this weekend
and this coffee cake is synonymous with "cottage" to me.

This is my go to coffee cake for many occasions such as,
cottage take along, carry-in meals, the guys fishing trips, and any make aheads for brunch or
overnight guests.

It always turns out, except for one time when I tried making it
in Grande Prairie, AB where my daughter used to live.
I made it in a bundt cake pan and used Greek Yogurt instead of Sour Cream
and it became very dense and almost inedible - weird!

This is one of those cakes that gets better after a few days - the cake stays
moist and delicious.

This recipe also appears in our church cookbook - one of my favourite books.
I think I usually submit this recipe whenever one is needed for a cookbook!



I checked my blog to see if I had posted this recipe before but couldn't find it there
(which surprised me since I almost know it off by heart) so here goes:



Sour Cream Coffee Cake

From my Betty Crocker Card Library!

3/4 Cup Butter Softened
1 1/2 Cup sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 Cup All-purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Cups Dairy Sour Cream (I usually use 5% MF although Full Fat works great too)

Filling:
Mix 1/2 C brown sugar (packed), 1/2 C finely chopped nuts (I always use walnuts)  and 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.

Heat oven to 350F degrees.  Grease tube pan.
In large mixer bowl, combine butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla.  Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.  Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and then mix this alternately with the sour cream into the batter. I start with 1/3 of dry mixture, 1/2 wet mixture, 1/3 of dry, 1/2 wet and end with 1/3 of the dry mixture.

Spread 1/3 of the this batter into the bottom of the pan, sprinkle with 1/3 of the filling - repeat twice.

First 1/3 layer - repeat two more times

Bake for about 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.  Cool slightly in pan before removing.




Tips: I've learned not to preheat the oven until I'm at the stage where you start mixing in the flour and the sour cream because I'm never ready to put the cake into the oven by the time the oven is preheated - especially on a very hot day like today!

Another trick, so to speak, is to turn your sour cream upside down in the fridge (this keeps it from getting moldy and lasts way past the expiration date). My dear friend Jan taught me this one.

This really works!!

Serve with butter and fresh strawberry jam!!!
Because I'm sending this to the cottage I can't show you how it looks sliced,
but here is Betty Crocker's picture and it really does look like this ....



Till next time ....... July is whizzing by and I still feel like I'm trying to catch up from May and June.
Our sweet little love turned one and we can't wait to celebrate this with the whole family (stay tuned).


9 comments:

  1. I use a similar recipe of my mom's---always a hit! I can't believe your grandbaby is already one!! A day worth celebrating Have fun!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy does that look yummy!! I'm going to bookmark this and make it when my kids are visiting. I'm seriously de-fluffing again so I'm a bit less chunky when we head to Shipshewana for the play debut. Love that sour cream tip, too! Thanks. Time flies when you have little ones to enjoy! So glad she's closer to you now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good bunt cake recipe! I'll have to try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds YUMMY ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious, Rosella! I am going to Pin this one and make it on a day when I can stand to have my oven turned on. :/

    Didn't that first year fly by?! (They all do!) Happy birthday to your little treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this an old Betty Crocker recipe from the 70's? I made a whack of them for our wedding. Have to compare recipes, but it's very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds very good. Wish I could have a piece right now! Thanks for the tip about sour cream, perhaps other items, too, like cottage cheese? Anyway, having tossed so many things in recent weeks...having trouble remembering I am only one...I can use such a tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you...about not heating the oven in advance! Your cake sounds/looks yummy. I must try it. Thanks for the reminder to turn my sour cream container upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know the upside-down sour cream container trick. Thank you! I have this recipe too. I think you and I are of the same vintage!

    ReplyDelete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...